Thursday 16 May 2013

Day #100

So, we hit the three digits number today. Cool.
Today the weather sucked. Cloudy and cold. The restaurant was almost empty, which was good because a) I didn't have to make too many coffees b) I had enough time to do everything that needed to be done behind the counter; but, at the same time, it was very bad for business: only had two tables for lunch.

At one of them, there were sitting four Americans. I'm not specifying this for your sake, or mine, but they mentioned it three or four times, so I guess it worths while telling. Whatever, I asked them whereabouts in the States and they said they came from Indiana, 'in the middle, you know'.
Now, I did happen to know that, because a) John Green lives in Indiana and b) his latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, is set there as well. So I mentioned the only city I know of: Indianapolis. My customers were so surprised I knew about their hometown, because indeed they came from Indianapolis! I told them one of my favourite authors lived there and that he set his latest novel, The Fault in Our Stars, there as well.
And no, I don't think it's weird I know in which city John Green lives. I know where plenty of other people live, no big deal.

Dunque, abbiamo finalmente raggiunto le tre cifre! Fico.
Oggi il tempo ha fatto schifo. Nuvoloso e freddo. Il ristorante è stato quasi vuoto, il che è stato un bene perché a) non ho dovuto fare troppi caffè e b) ho avuto abbastanza tempo per fare tutto quello che occorreva fare dietro il bancone; ma allo stesso tempo, è stato pessimo per gli affari: a pranzo ho servito solo due tavoli.
Ad uno dei due erano seduti quattro Americani. Non lo dico tanto perché ci tengo a farvi sapere la loro cittadinanza, quanto piuttosto perché lo hanno ripetuto tre o quattro volte che venivano dagli Stati Uniti. In ogni caso, gli ho chiesto da dove venissero di preciso, mi hanno risposto dall'Indiana, 'nel mezzo, sai'.
Devo confessare che lo sapevo davvero, perché si dà il caso che a) John Green viva in Indiana e b) abbia ambientato lì il suo ultimo libro, Colpa delle Stelle. Così ho detto il nome dell'unica città che conosco: Indianapolis. Potete solo immaginarvi la sorpresa dei miei clienti quando ho menzionato la loro città natale! Perché venivano proprio da lì! Gli ho spiegato che uno dei miei autori preferiti vive a Indianapolis anche lui e che ha ambientato lì il suo ultimo libro, Colpa delle Stelle.
E no, non credo sia strano che sappia dove John Green abiti. So dove vivono un sacco di altre persone.

No comments:

Post a Comment