Sunday 28 April 2013

Day #82

Today I worked at the restaurant on lunch shift and let me tell you, I wouldn't have made it without Tony's help. Unlike last time, Davina didn't stay at the restaurant but went straight home, leaving me completely alone on the floor and behind the counter. It only makes sense that we had plenty of people over right at this convenient time.
As I said, God bless Tony! He served food to the tables himself when I was too busy welcoming new customers or taking orders from others, not to mention that he was really helpful as barista when four tables came one after the other and we were to serve them drinks ASAP.

A funny remark: one of the customers complimented me for taking care of all the tables and keeping a good eye on everybody's needs at the same time. At first I thought he was kidding, because I felt hopeless and completely disappointed in the service I was providing: being so busy I couldn't focus on each table the way I like to and I was afraid people might feel as if I neglected them. 
So I said to him, 'Seriously? Today I'm a mess.' If he thought that was excellent service I wonder what he would say of what I call excellent service. But of course, I was flattered and I literally sighed of relief in acknowledging the fact that I might have been to harsh on myself when judging my work.

I think Davina feels bad for not giving me a day off on my birthday - you see, it will be Mother's Day, which is the Black Friday (beginning of the Christmas shopping season in US) of restaurants apparently and they cannot afford to be short of one person on the floor. I was saying, she must feel bad about it because she offered to give me a makeover (I seriously don't understand why people think I should need one, my sister was always insisting on it! Lol, probably because it's written all over my face that I have no clue about how to put eyeliner in a straight line or pluck my eyebrows in an acceptable way. Whaterver.) 
I'm kind of looking forward to that, she always has perfect make-up! It'll be nice, just for a change. Even though it's going to be weird. I mean, she's still my boss.

Oggi ho lavorato al ristorante a pranzo e lasciatemelo dire, non ce l'avrei mai fatta senza l'aiuto di Tony. A differenza della settimana scorsa, Davina non è rimasta ma è andata a casa, lasciandomi completamente sola in sala e al bancone. Naturalmente, era destino che il ristorante si riempisse proprio in questo momento propizio.
Come ho detto, grazie al cielo c'era Tony! Si è messo a portare lui i piatti ai tavoli nei momenti in cui ero troppo presa a dare il benvenuto a nuovi clienti oppure a prendere le ordinazioni da altri, per non parlare di quando mi ha aiutato con caffè e altre bevande nel momento in cui si sono riempiti quattro tavoli uno dietro l'altro e ognuno voleva da bere il prima possibile.
Ah. Una cosa divertente: uno dei clienti oggi mi ha fatto i complimenti per il modo in cui tenevo sottocontrollo tutti i tavoli, attenta ai bisogni e alle richieste di tutti gli avventori. All'inizio pensavo mi stesse prendendo in giro, parliamone, io mi sentivo disperata e terribilmente scontenta dal modo in cui stavo trattando la gente in sala: lontano anni luce dalla cura che uso di solito e temevo, anzi, che potessero sentirsi trascurati.
'Davvero?' gli ho detto 'Oggi mi sento un disastro!'. Se pensava che quello di questo pomeriggio fosse un ottimo lavoro mi domando cosa direbbe di quello che io chiamo 'ottimo lavoro'. Ma naturalmente, ne sono stata lusingata e ho tirato un lungo sospiro di sollievo, dovendo ammettere che, forse, ero stata troppo dura con me stessa nel giudicare il mio comportamento.

Credo Davina si senta in colpa di non potermi lasciare libera il giorno del mio compleanno. Sarà la Festa della Mamma, il che a quanto pare è meglio di Natale o Pasqua per il ristorante e per questo non possono permettersi di lasciare a casa nessuno. Dicevo, credo si senta in colpa perché si è offerta di farmi un makeover! (Della serie, davvero non capisco perché così tanta gente si ostini a sistemarmi la faccia, prima tra tutte mia sorella. Ah. Poi penso al fatto che non riesco a mettermi l'eyeliner in modo che la linea sia dritta oppure all'IMprecisione con cui mi faccio le sopracciglia e capisco improvvisamente tutto.)
Sono un po' eccitata per questa cosa: ha sempre un trucco bellissimo lei! Però rimane comunque il mio boss, il che rende il tutto il triplo più strano.

No comments:

Post a Comment