Thursday 14 March 2013

Day #37

Here's a little survey: has any of you been woken up at 4 o'clock by a text message last night? Anybody?
I was. My dad was telling me that the new Pope had finally been chosen and forgot about the time difference; I quickly dismissed the thought at that particular moment and went straight back to the greener pastures of sound sleep. When I woke up in the morning, I kind of felt annoyed at him for startling me, but I soon realized that it was the construction people who had started working way too early for my likings I was mad at. 
As you may recollect, I sleptover at Karen's. The room I was sleeping in was really cosy: it was painted in this wonderful shade of coral and the many pillows on the bed were so soft and confortable I dropped asleep as soon as I crawled in. Sadly that didn't prevent the on-going construction of a new wing of the school behind Karen's place to be extremely loud at 6:30 in the morning. For sure it proved to be an effective allarm clock!
The morning turned a whole lot better as soon as Karen offered me some of the banana bread she had baked yesterday evening. So, that was good.

Before leaving, I gave Casey the little gift I got for her birthday. She will be turning 21 this Saturday, but since I'm intruding too much already, I though I'd better stay clear of the family celebrations for the weekend. Besides, I didn't want to wait and give it to her next time I'd be invited over, when she might have already got it herself.. Yes, I am that nuts.

I spent the rest of the day reading. I have only a hundred pages left to finish The Casual Vacancy now. It took me about two weeks to get to the point were it was just too good to stop reading, but yeah, I eventually got there. I haven't finished it yet, of course, but since I'm a terrible terrible reader, I already know what is going to happen because I flipped through the pages. Oh man! That is going to be something! Wow. 
I would just like to spend a few words on this woman's capability of wrapping up and matching all the threads she's opened throughout the book. She is a genius.
Naturally, I was more than shocked to read Jo Rowling writing about drugs, prostitution, rape and other stuff you would have NEVER expected her to write about knowing her for the world she created with Harry Potter.
I just love how each and every character in the book has his own way of coping with what happens in his life; has his dreams, fantasies, secrets and that you get to hear directly from them their own account of the story. It is messy, that is kind of the drawback you may get for having close to 20 different narrators, but once you get who's who, you do just fine.
Having been brought up in a small town where pretty much everybody knows everybody else I was fascinated by the things going on in fictional Pagford. All the resentment, suspicion, treachery, stuff hidden you'd rather not know about, it makes you think about what might happen in your place, especially when you find yourself so far away.

Un piccolo questionario: chi tra voi è stato svegliato alle 4 da un sms questa mattina? Nessuno?
Io sì. Mio papà mi stava dicendo che avevano finalmente eletto il nuovo Papa, ma ha calcolato male il fuso; in quel momento ho lasciato correre e sono ritornata a letto, anche perché non ero in grado di intendere e di volere. Quando mi sono alzata più tardi, ero un po' scocciata, ma ho capito che la cosa che più mi ha infastidito non è stata l'sms, ma i lavori della scuola dietro casa di Karen che sono cominciati fin troppo presto per i miei standard.
Come potrete ricordare, sono rimasta a dormire da Karen. La stanza dove stavo era carinissima: dipinta di corallo, con un mucchio di cuscini stra morbidi sul letto, che non hanno fatto altro che conciliare il mio sonno. Diciamo che appena ho toccato il guanciale sono partita completamente per il mondo dei sogni. Purtroppo neanche quei cuscini meravigliosi hanno impedito che le ruspe fossero estremamente rumorose alle 6 e mezza! Parecchio efficace come sveglia!
La mattinata ha preso subito una piega migliore quando Karen mi ha offerto un po' del banana bread che ha preparato ieri sera. Quindi mi è andata parecchio bene.
Prima di andare via, ho dato a Casey il regalo che le ho preso per il suo compleanno. Lo festeggia sabato, però già mi pare di essere sempre presente a casa loro, ho pensato di lasciarli tranquilli almeno per quel weekend. Allo stesso tempo, però, temevo potesse procurarsi da sola la cosa che le ho perso e quindi volevo che l'avesse subito.. sono un po' pazza, lo so..

Ho passato il resto della giornata a leggere. Mi mancano solo un centinaio di pagine per finire il Seggio Vacante. Mi ci sono volute quasi due settimane per arrivare al punto in cui non riuscivo più a smettere di leggere, ma alla fine ce l'ho fatta. Ovviamente non l'ho ancora finito, ma so già cosa succederà perché sono una lettrice davvero davvero pessima - come al solito ho sfogliato le pagine e sono andata a leggere il seguito. Oh mamma!!
Vorrei solo spendere qualche parola sulle incredibili capacità di questa donna: il modo in cui fa tornare tutti i conti è semplicemente geniale!
Naturalmente sono rimasta più che scioccata nel leggere la Rowling scrivere di droga, prostituzione, stupro e altre cose che non ci si aspetterebbe MAI di leggere dalla penna della creatrice di Harry Potter.
Ho apprezzato tantissimo come ogni personaggio del libro abbia il proprio modo di affrontare quello che gli capita, abbia diversi piani, desideri e segreti, e soprattutto il fatto che ognuno abbia l'occasione di raccontare la propria storia dal suo punto di vista. Chiariamoci, è parecchio confusionario dato che ha poco meno di venti diversi narratori, ma una volta che si capisce chi è chi, allora la situazione si sblocca.
Essendo cresciuta in una cittadina dove tutti conoscono tutti, sono rimasta affascinata dal microcosmo della fittizia Pagford. Tutti i risentimenti, i sospetti, le cose sussurrate e quelle nascoste che preferiresti non scoprire mai, ti fanno pensare a quello che potrebbe succedere nel tuo paese, dove la vita va avanti anche se tu sei a chilometri e chilometri di distanza.

No comments:

Post a Comment